New Industry Cover Letter
Career Change Cover Letter Sample
This career change cover letter sample can be used when you are applying for a job opportunity in a different career field.
Focus on those transferable skills and competencies you have that are relevant to the new career opportunity. Use the job posting to identify the required competencies and articulate these clearly in your cover letter.
Adapt this sample cover letter to meet the needs of your specific situation. Convince the employer that you are able to do the new job and to do it well.
Cover Letter Sample
Your Contact details (phone and email)
Contact Job Title
Company City, State, Zip Code
Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms Smith
It is with interest and enthusiasm that I respond to your job opening for position. I strongly believe that the skills and abilities I have gained during my career to date make me an excellent candidate for this opportunity. The key proficiencies I possess which relate directly to your job requirements include:
- Communication skills - successful in building strong co-operative relationships with key clients and decision-makers.
- Problem solving ability - regarded as a resourceful problem solver evident in the successful development and implementation of new policies and procedures.
- Planning and organizing - proven track record of effectively prioritizing multiple tasks and assignments in a fast-paced work environment to efficiently meet departmental and company objectives.
- Team player - a solid reputation as a competent team member who is always prepared to go the extra mile to achieve results.
- Self starter - considered a highly motivated employee with the capacity to learn quickly and take responsibility for my own development.
I am convinced that my broad experience in the career field of previous career field has equipped me with a strong set of valuable competencies that meet your needs. I am eager to combine my previous experience with my passion for new career field in order to work hard and make a meaningful contribution to your organization.
I would welcome the opportunity for a personal interview to discuss this further. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to set up a time and date for us to meet.
Thank you for your time and consideration and I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Get help with your cover letter at career change cover letter sample advice and tips.
Recommended Career Change Resources
Writing an objective for your resume as a career changer can be a challenge. Use these career change resume objective examples to help you.
To find out the skills and competencies required for different jobs and careers when writing a career change cover letter visit sample job descriptions.
The job skills list provides detailed information on the skills used in different career fields.
Know more about job-related competencies. View the 12 core competencies identified as critical for successful job performance across all career fields.
Find out how to identify your work-related strengths. Go to this comprehensive list of strengths and weaknesses
View these resume samples to get help with developing your own convincing resume.
Cover Letter Resources
Basic Cover Letter
Email Cover Letter
Cover Letter Template
Need a new career? Use this career cover letter sample to help you secure a new challenge.
Job Interviews > Cover Letters > Career Change
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page
Career change cover letter sample
Wondering how to change careers? Start by explaining your value in your cover letter.
If you're changing careers, use these cover letter writing tips.
When changing careers, it's especially important to outline your value proposition to a potential employer. View our career change cover letter sample below.
If you need additional writing tips, join Monster today, so the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service can help you impress employers with a high-impact resume and cover letter that will allow you to change careers.
1400 Main St.
Sometown, PA 11111
Phone: (215) 555-5555
Jan. 10, 2017
VP Business Development
15 Walnut St.
Philadelphia, PA 12345
I am writing to you as a fellow graduate of Hofstra University (class of 2002) and would sincerely appreciate any insight you could provide me into McClain Companies. I have been working in sales for almost five years, and I am now looking to transition into corporate human resources at a company such as yours.
Although successful in my sales career, I have realized the aspects of my work I find most rewarding are all in HR-related functions. The following offers a few highlights of my qualifications:
- Solid foundation in HR affairs: As senior account executive, I have been responsible for a number of HR functions, including recruiting, interviewing, hiring and training new employees. A quick learner of complex concepts and legal issues, I am eager to broaden these competencies.
- Dynamic communication style: I am adept in building relationships, consensus and a shared sense of purpose. I am known for my ability to quickly establish trust with employees, mediate disputes and motivate others into action.
- Experience in corporate training: A constant throughout my sales career has been my passion for the design and delivery of staff development programs. Comfortable and experienced giving both large and small-group presentations, I have conducted hundreds of training seminars for diverse audiences across all organizational levels.
If you know of anyone within McClain Companies who might be looking for someone with my qualifications, I would be very grateful for your referral. Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.
See all sample cover letters on Monster.