School Counseling Internship Cover Letter Sample
School Counselor Cover Letter
School Counselors are employed by both public and private schools and play a vital role in the education team. In the last years, their role has expanded from basic duties like handing out college applications to more complex ones such as individual student planning. Other responsibilities of a School Counselor include: discussing concerns with students, mediating conflicts, helping students develop plans, liaising between teachers and parents, assisting with scholarships, organizing drug prevention programs, and referring students to community resources.
Those interested in a School Counselor position should be able to demonstrate the following skills in their cover letters:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to interact with all sort of students
- Strong listening skills and an interest in others
- An approachable manner
- Cultural sensitivity
- Organizational skills
- Computer literacy
Below is provided a sample cover letter highlighting similar School Counselor skills.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive School Counselor Resume Samples.
Dear Mr. Harris:
When I learned of your need for a School Counselor, I hastened to submit my resume for your review. My experience in student-based behavioral therapy, academic and career guidance, and academic support—as well as my recent Master’s degree in Counseling Psychology and my previous Bachelor’s degree in Education—gives me confidence in my ability to significantly benefit your school.
My background in providing crucial support and counseling services to students of diverse backgrounds, personalities, cultures, and socioeconomic conditions has prepared me to excel in this role. With my ability to quickly connect with individuals and establish trusting relationships, along with my strong communication and compassionate cultural awareness skills, I am positioned to thrive in this challenging position.
Consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Providing vital support to students, including evaluating concerns, identifying and outlining detailed treatment plans, advocating for students in classrooms and extracurricular programs, and working closely with cross-school faculty and staff to reach individual student goals.
- Designed and introducing a peer mediation program, resulting in a 28% reduction in office referrals.
- Advising more than 90 students in educational topics such as course selection, class schedules, career exploration, and ongoing study habits.
- Delivering comprehensive support and assistance to students struggling with behavioral and/or disability challenges.
- Utilizing superior interpersonal and communication abilities to provide optimal solutions and support in difficult and stressful situations.
- Demonstrating solid commitment to the field in my graduate academic work; gaining a broad understanding of therapy and counseling topics and completing my degree with a GPA of 3.97.
With my previous experience and education in student counseling services, complemented by my goal of providing critical assistance to children in need, I believe I could swiftly surpass your expectations for this role. The opportunity to discuss the position in further detail would be most welcome.
Thank you for your consideration.
Anne J. Hughes
RE: School Guidance Counselor, September 14, 2014
Dear Mr. McFadden,
As a highly skilled School Guidance Counselor, I read your posting for a new School Guidance Counselor with interest. My experience aligns well with the qualifications you are seeking, in particular my role as a School Guidance Counselor at New Cityland Senior High School, and I am certain I would make a valuable addition to your organization.
With more than 10 years’ experience as a School Guidance Counselor, I am adept in counseling special populations,
recognizing societal and environmental factors affecting learners, and developmental guidance program implementation. Moreover, while my on-the-job experience has afforded me a well-rounded skill set, including first-rate problem-solving and communication skills, I excel at:
- Individualized Student Attention
- Behavior Management
- Problem-solving and discussion techniques
- Learning styles Assessment
In addition to my experience and personal qualities, I have a solid educational foundation and a passion for education and social work. Please review my attached resume for additional details regarding my expertise and abilities. I will follow up to request an appointment to discuss how my experience and background meets your needs.
Thank you for your time and consideration.